Turn-in Benward Books BY FRIDAY. Bring the CD if you can find it.
Working on your composition at home:
- For Sibelius at school, download https://store.makemusic.com/downloads/default.aspx?id=529. (You may have to create an account.)
- Extract and install.
- EXPORT your .sib file as an XML file and email to yourself. Save to your hard drive.
- Download http://musescore.org/ and install at home.
- Open Musescore, go to file-open and double-click your XML file.
May 14-May 31
IV. Final Composition Project – Due May 29, 2013.
Select one of the listed formats and compose a piece in the style of your choice. Minimum length is 3 minutes, maximum 6. Provide a formal and harmonic analysis.
Arrangements/Orchestrations of pre-existing material is fine, as long as it is completely re-made in your own image and has a formal and Roman numeral analysis.
QUALITY: Must be something you would pay money to hear.
If your preferred ensemble is not listed, ask me.
- Marching Band
- Percussion Ensemble
- Choral piece in SATB form, with or without acct. MUST HAVE LYRICS. (Language of your choice.)
- Vocal Ensemble in four or more voices WITH accompaniment. MUST HAVE LYRICS. (Language of your choice.)
- Woodwind Quintet
- Mixed Woodwind Quartet
- Woodwind Choir
- Saxophone Quintet or Quartet using Sop., Al., Ten. and Bari
- Brass Quintet
- Mixed Brass Quartet
- Brass Choir
- Jazz Ensemble
- Concert Band
- String Quartet
- String Orchestra
- Full Orchestra
- Pop group – must have trumpet, sax and trombone (or more winds), piano, guitar, bass, drums.
IF POSSIBLE – find an ensemble to sing or perform your piece and we will record it and post it on youtube.
MAY 2nd: TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY!
TIMBERVIEW: Schedule of Classes During TAKS Testing
April 23, 2013
- Juniors and some Seniors – Math TAKS Test (First Administration and Retest)
- Seniors who have passed the Math TAKS will have late arrival at 10:30 AM in our main gym.
- Freshmen and Sophomores – Attend regular classes, but at different times than on a regular school day. TCC classes are cancelled. Any student with a TCC class will report to our library.
- The complete class schedule for April 23 can be found at
April 24, 2013
- Juniors and some Seniors – Science TAKS Test (First Administration and Retest)
- All other students (including Seniors who have passed the Science TAKS test) will attend all regular classes at their regular times. Seniors do not have late arrival. TCC classes are cancelled. Any student with a TCC class will report to our library.
- The complete class schedule for April 24 can be found at
April 25, 2013
- Juniors and some Seniors – Social Studies TAKS Test (First Administration and Retest)
- All other students (including Seniors who have passed the Social Studies TAKS test) will attend all regular classes at their regular times. Seniors do not have late arrival. TCC classes are cancelled. Any student with a TCC class will report to our library.
- The complete class schedule for April 25 can be found at
The videos below are interesting, especially the “10,000 Hour Theory,” from “This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession.” Music, Science, and the Brain are more closely related than you think. Daniel J. Levitin, James McGill Professor of Psychology and Music at McGill University, shows you why this is.
A NEW, New Hope
Periods: A Gastronomical Explanation
SOL-TI-RE-FA Dominant 7 Song
There are SO MANY music theory sites on the internet that you can find answers to ANY questions you might have.
Compound Meter Explanations:
I teach this class at 4 high schools each day. Therefore, I will endeavor to keep all 4 schools on the same “game plan,” so do not get behind. It’s better to go in at half time up 14 points than down 14.
How to do this? EZ. Do your homework every day. And for Aural Proficiency homework, try to get ahead of the class schedule. By doing so, you will never feel the “heat” of failure. 90% of this course is “training” your ears to “see” and you eyes to “hear.” (Your eyes are doing that right now as you’re reading.) It’s not difficult. It’s IMPOSSIBLE! Until you learn how to do it and train to make a habit. Then it’s EASY!
- A notebook for general note taking
- A notebook of music staff paper (start with at least 25 sheets)
- 3-4 #2 Pencils
- A large eraser
- Red Pencil
- Straight edge ruler optional, but might help with your calligraphy
The instructor does not provide music paper. Manuscript paper can be downloaded from:
So let’s get started. Click on the date for the lesson and homework for each week:
24 – 28
1 – 5
9 – 12
15 – 20
22 – 26
29 – Nov. 2
5 – 9
12 – 16
17 – 25 Thanksgiving Break
26 – 30
3 – 7
10 – 14